A first date can be a nerve-wracking experience for both men and women. We may rely on our instincts…or we can trust the dating advice of experts, professional matchmakers, who have learned from clients and their own experiences when conquering the inevitable first meet-up.
Check out these 10 first date tips that will make the biggest impact in impressing your next date. Advice by our elite matchmaker.
1. Share your confidence (or mask your nervousness!) with a positive attitude.
2. Be open and candid about your passions and interests.
3. Keep topics of conversation light and humorous.
4. Send a nice “thank you” text or note the next day. Even if you don’t think you’ll be seeing the person again, it’s always nice to thank them for spending time with you.
5. Stay from talking about your exes in a negative light—it makes you look worse than your “evil ex”.
6. Let your personality shine through…but also make a point to be more outgoing and engaging.
7. Turn off your phone! Full attention is hard to come by these days, but if you’re able to exhibit it, it will make your date do the same.
8. Enjoy yourself! Don’t take the date too seriously. This is the opportunity to get to know someone. It doesn’t have to be an interview if you’re only getting to know each other.
9. Be decisive. If you have the opportunity to make a decision about the direction of the date, take it!
10. Establish boundaries. Make sure you’re on the same page as your date.
An common Elite Connections Complaint we hear often is that dating can sometimes be frustrating. But if you stick to our suggestions and listen to our matchmakers, you’ll be on the right track. Try to enjoy the company of someone else and be excited about learning about a new person. You never know what might be in store.